Click here to listen to Outdoors w/ Jake - LIVE @6PM

Photo

H&R Handi-Rifle trigger job

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WoodsyAl

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

I got this rifle in 35 Whelen last year. It had a pretty bad trigger pull, but I didn't have time to do anything about it then. This guy

http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.com/

has some fans among the Handi-Rifle enthusiasts. I sent him my frame (no barrel or stock) in a small USPS shipping box last Thursday, along with $75. Today (8 days later) I got the frame back. The pull was 7 lbs., but now it breaks cleanly at 3 lbs. I realize that an additional $75 is a significant percentage of the original cost of a Handi-Rifle, but I can't abide a terrible trigger pull, and this was a pretty painless way to get it improved. You may have a local smith who can do it for less, but David White works on a lot of these. Just thought I would put this out there for anyone interested.

#2 Sawbuck

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I am goin to do something about mine before this year
"Greater hunters than me may have lived, but i doubt it."

#3 ronc

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

I got this rifle in 35 Whelen last year. It had a pretty bad trigger pull, but I didn't have time to do anything about it then. This guy

http://www.dandtcustomgunworks.com/

has some fans among the Handi-Rifle enthusiasts. I sent him my frame (no barrel or stock) in a small USPS shipping box last Thursday, along with $75. Today (8 days later) I got the frame back. The pull was 7 lbs., but now it breaks cleanly at 3 lbs. I realize that an additional $75 is a significant percentage of the original cost of a Handi-Rifle, but I can't abide a terrible trigger pull, and this was a pretty painless way to get it improved. You may have a local smith who can do it for less, but David White works on a lot of these. Just thought I would put this out there for anyone interested.

I remember David White he use to live in Kokomo a few minutes from Columbia. He moved back to Oklahoma several years ago and David can make an H&R flat out shoot. Thought about sending my 20 slug to him for the works but just can't justify $500.00 more in my H&R. Billy Tierce in Utica does trigger jobs on H&Rs but don't know his price. I need to send him a couple H&Rs for trigger work when I get te.

#4 Rustyculley

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:54 PM

That sounds like a great deal, Al. I have done a few of my own, but I would not pretend to do a trigger job on one of those for $75. Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

#5 WoodsyAl

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Rusty,

There are some pretty good instructions on how to do the trigger job on the internet. I looked at those, thought about it, and decided that letting someone with experience do it for $75 was a better idea. Doing an H&R trigger right is a lot more involved than turning some screws. Lots of polishing while maintaining critical angles, etc. Glad to have your opinion!

#6 EDDYB0

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

I would send mine off too if I had one. Heck I just had to give myself a refresher course in how to tune a remington trigger this week. I do not like stoning on trigger parts.

#7 RT8

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

I remember David White he use to live in Kokomo a few minutes from Columbia. He moved back to Oklahoma several years ago...

**biting my tongue**
He was married to my aunt back then...suffice it to say that I'm glad he's gone. One of very few people that I probably wouldn't piss on if he were on fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com