Photo
- - - - -

Vegetable Gardens

11 replies to this topic

#1 Brokeback

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

Have always had a few raised vegetable garden beds. New to the south, so wondering if anyone can point me to a good site to learn what works well down here? Or post up some tips? just looking to grow your basic veggies. thanks!

#2 Nogo

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

Right now is the time to plant greens. Turnip greens, mustard greens, particularly. Potatoes are also planted early in the south. Broccoli grows good early in the season.

Later plant tomatoes, green, banana, and hot peppers. All these grow good in the south. Just make sure your hot peppers are far from the sweet peppers. They will cross pollinate. Squash also grows great. Zucchini and yellow squash. Only hints on these squashes is don't plant too much or you won't know what to do with all of it.

If you have more room plant sweet corn, and black eyed peas.

As for what not to plant, if you don't see it at a farmer's market there is likely a reason for that. If you are south of Memphis, things like Rhubarb are not going to survive.

Hints.... Use your local county agricultural service. Right now is the time to get soil samples sent in. Most soil in Mississippi is very acidic, so be ready to buy a lot of lime.

#3 Brokeback

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:51 PM

Thanks. That'll get me started.

#4 1010

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:05 PM

Walmart or your local seed store will probably have some cool season plants.. I saw a few at the Grenada WM store yesterday..

MS State has a awesome site that is full of info, from gardens, turf grass to pests.. MSUCARES look it up..

Posted Image

#5 Littlebuck

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

If you planting for the summer, peas, corn, butterbeans, tomatoes, okra, squash all grow good down here with little fertlizer. i plant bout mid to late May.

#6 Brokeback

Posted 18 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

I'm thinking beans, peppers, squash, cucumber and maybe some melons and tomatoes. The viny stuff like melons and peas are always a pain to weed though. Tried carots one year and they came out all twisted and weird. Maybe some lettuce or spinach too.

Any fruit trees you'd guys recommend? I'd love 1 or 2 in the back yard.

#7 umrebs

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

MSU has some pretty good information online regarding vegetable gardens in mississippi. 

http://msucares.com/...bles/index.html

#8 huntfish

Posted 18 February 2015 - 09:36 PM

The msucares website is a great resource.

http://msucares.com/...bles/index.html

"If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism." -Ronald Reagan

#9 Brokeback

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

thanks again guys. Actually was tipped off that the mississippi forestry commission was giving away free trees today outside oxford. Wound up with some dogwood and maple sapling and a plum, peach and pear tree. pretty excited to get those in... although the ground is frozen and cold as sh!t right now hahah.

#10 Mojo

Posted 20 February 2015 - 10:37 AM

I love me some good Satsuma's. If you try it, i'll take some :)

http://msucares.com/...2/sg121224.html

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com